If you plan to disturb the ground, find out where the buried facilities on your property that are owned by the utilities are as part of your project planning process. If, for example, you are planning to build a fence, the presence of buried facilities may dictate where posts cannot be installed, which may affect the design of the fence, including the location of gates.

Most utilities are registered with Alberta One-Call, but some are not. Those that are not, you will have to contact directly to have their buried facilities identified and marked. The information Alberta One-Call requires to process your locate request includes:

  • a telephone number where you can be reached during the day;
  • your name;
  • the address where the ground disturbance is to take place;
  • the type of work you will be doing;
  • the approximate depth of the proposed ground disturbance;
  • whether the work will be on public property or private property or both;
  • the date you need the locates by.

Alberta One-Call will provide you with a “Ticket Number”, which you should keep for future reference and a list of Alberta One-Call’s members that will be notified on your behalf. You should expect the locates to be completed within a minimum of 2 working days of when you placed the locate request.

Locators will leave documentation of the locates for you, which explains the meaning of the marks, provides information on how to contact the utilities should you need to and any additional instructions related to the buried facilities that have been located.

For more information please visit http://www.alberta1call.com or call 1-800-242-3447.